Epub Ahead of Print
- 158 (2014) 1Vol 158-1 content
- Suppl.1Vol 158-Suppl.1 content
- 157 (2013) 1Vol 157-1 content 2Vol 157-2 content 3Vol 157-3 content 4Vol 157-4 content
- Suppl.1Vol 157-Suppl.1 content
- Suppl.2Vol 157-Suppl.2 content
- 156 (2012) 1Vol 156-1 content 2Vol 156-2 content 3Vol 156-3 content 4Vol 156-4 content
- Suppl.1Vol 156-Suppl.1 content
- Suppl.2Vol 156-Suppl.2 content
- Suppl.3Vol 156-Suppl.3 content
- 155 (2011) 1Vol 155-1 content 2Vol 155-2 content 3Vol 155-3 content 4Vol 155-4 content
- 154 (2010) 1Vol 154-1 content 2Vol 154-2 content 3Vol 154-3 content 4Vol 154-4 content
- 153 (2009) 1Vol 153-1 content 2Vol 153-2 content 3Vol 153-3 content 4Vol 153-4 content
- 152 (2008) 1Vol 152-1 content 2Vol 152-2 content
- 151 (2007) 1Vol 151-1 content 2Vol 151-2 content
- 150 (2006) 1Vol 150-1 content 2Vol 150-2 content
- 149 (2005) 1Vol 149-1 content 2Vol 149-2 content
- 148 (2004) 1Vol 148-1 content 2Vol 148-2 content
- 147 (2003) 1Vol 147-1 content 2Vol 147-2 content
- 146 (2002) 1Vol 146-1 content 2Vol 146-2 content
- 145 (2001) 1Vol 145-1 content 2Vol 145-2 content
- 144 (2000) 1Vol 144-1 content
- 143 (2000) 1Vol 143-1 content
- 142 (1999) 1Vol 142-1 content
- 141 (1998) 1Vol 141-1 content
|System entry (if you have password).|
|The registration of the new author.|
|Fulltext search in Biomedical Papers archive.|
Full Article PDF:
- Halmo R.Articles of Renata Halmo on pubmed
- Galuszka J.Articles of Jan Galuszka on pubmed
- Langova K.Articles of Katerina Langova on pubmed
- Galuszkova D.Articles of Dana Galuszkova on pubmed
NEW MEMBER Of Editorial Board and Staff
Jan Václavík, MD, Ph.D. (born 1979) is an associate professor at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry of Palacky University (Czech Republic). He received his Ph.D. in Internal Medicine from Palacky University in 2010. His research interests include hypertension, preventive cardiology, heart failure and cardiovascular therapeutics. He is the Head of Hypertension Excellence Center of the University Hospital in Olomouc, the member of the European Society of Hypertension and the European Society of Cardiology. He is married and has 2 children.
To qualify for authorship, one should contribute to all of the following: (i) Conception and design of project or analysis and interpretation of the data, (ii) Drafting or critically revising the content of the manuscript submitted for publication, and (iii) Giving final approval of the version to be published. All three criteria must be met for an individual to be listed as an author or co-author on a published paper. Other criteria which do not qualify an individual for “author status” are the following: (i) Supplying funding or other resources, (ii) Collecting data only, (iii) General supervision of the research group, and (iv) Being department or division head.
FROM 1st MARCH 2013:
The Editorial Board would like to remind submitting authors that Biomedical Papers is a publication of Palacký University and is in no way funded by the pharmaceutical industry.
For this reason, from the 1st March, 2013, the fee of 5.000,- Czech crowns (or an equivalent sum in Euro) will apply to all manuscripts accepted for publication. Accepted manuscripts will not proceed further without receipt of payment. Thank you for your understanding.
Please note, however, reviews, minireviews, commentaries and Letters to the Editor will remain free of charge.
FOR BIOMEDICAL PAPERS.
January - December 2012
The editors and the authors
of the papers submitted
to the Journal are grateful
for the help of our reviewers.
Impact Factor is 0.990
* Czech Impact Journals
* All Journals - Categories: Medicine, Research, Experimental
Information For Authors
Manuscripts should be written in good and clear English. Please have your text proofread by a native English speaker before you submit it for consideration.
If you need assistance with translation/manuscript preparation in English, suitable for international journals before submission for review, please contact the proof reader
Dr. Alexander Oulton
Biomedical papers - Epub Ahead of Print
Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. X:X
Self care in patients with chronic heart failure. Pilot study - self care includes problems
- Renata Halmoa, Jan Galuszkab,c, Katerina Langovad, Dana Galuszkovac
- a Institute of Health Care Studies, Faculty of Humanities, Tomas Bata University Zlin, Czech Republic
- b Department of Internal Medicine I - Cardiology, University Hospital Olomouc and Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University Olomouc
- c Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, Palacky University Olomouc
- d Department of Medical Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University Olomouc
Keywords: self-care, self-management, self-care deficit theory, heart failure, education
Received: August 23, 2012; Accepted: June 4, 2013; Available online: June 12, 2013
Aim: The goal of this pilot study was to define the scope of therapeutic self-care demand in heart failure (HF) patients according to the concepts of self-care postulated by D.E. Orem and to determine the level of problems experienced and self-care in these patients.
Methods: A questionnaire consisting of 7 areas with closed format questions was developed according to the definition. The level of patient problems and level of self-care actions were mapped in each area. The questionnaire was distributed at the hospital outpatient clinic. The study group consisted of 47 heart failure patients (14 women) with following characteristics: average age 68 years, average BMI 29.4, resynchronization therapy 21%, hypertension 69.8%, diabetes mellitus 25.6%, coronary artery disease 46.5%, dilated cardiomyopathy 46.5%, obesity 46.5%, smoking history 39.5% (present and past smoking together), other cardiac disease 16.28%, condition after myocardial infarction 27.8% (NYHA II 41%, NYHA III 56.8%, NYHA IV 2.2%).
Results: The greatest problems were in the area of physical activity, sleep and fatigue, the least were in the area of chest pain and blood circulation. The greatest self-care agency was shown in the area of managing problems with physical activities and sleep, the lowest in the area of liquid intake and output. In the patients' subjective opinion, fatigue and sleep problems had the greatest impact on the quality of life. There were no substantial differences in either area based on gender.
Conclusions: The data can serve as a foundation for modifying the extent and structure of patient education for more comprehensive and more effective out‑patient treatment of HF.
Open full article
- Orem DE.: Strukturkonzepte der Pflegepraxis. Berlin, Wiesbaden: Ullstein Mosby GmbH & Co. KG; 1997.
- Orem DE.: Nursing concepts of practice. 6th ed.St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby, Inc.; 2001.
- Bekel G, Halmo R. Teorie deficitu sebepece, 1. vyd. Olomouc: Univerzita Palackeho v Olomouci; 2004.
- Bekel G. Die Selbstpflegedefizit - Theorie von Dorothea E.Orem. In Holoch, Gehrke, Knigge - Demal, Zoller. Kinderkrankenpflege, Bern, Gottingen, Toronto, Seattle: Verlag Hans Huber; 1999. p.48 - 56.
- Halmo R. Uziti teorie deficitu sebepece v kardiologii. In Cap E, Ziakova J, Martin K. Osetrovatelstvo teoria, vyskum a vzdelavanie. JLF UK a LF UP; 2007. p.115 - 125.
- Jaarsma T, Stornberg A, Martensson J, Draup K. Development and testing of the European Heart Failure Self-care Behaviour Scale. The Eur J Heart Fail 2003;(5):363-70.
- Shuldham C, Theaker C, Jaarsma T, Cowie MR. Evaluation of the European Heart Failure Self-care Behaviour Scale in a United Kingdom population. J Adv Nurs 2007; 60(1):87-95. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Bodenheimer T, Lorig K, Holman, H., Grumbach, K. Patient Self-management of Chronic Disease in Primary Care. JAMA 2002; 288(19):2469-75.
- Lukl J. Klinicka kardiologie strucne. 1. vyd. Olomouc: Univerzita Palackeho v Olomouci; 2004.
- Spinar J, Vitovec J, Hradec J, Malek I, Meluzin J, Spinarova L, Hoskova L, Hegarova M, Ludka O, Taborsky M. Doporuceny postup Ceske kardiologicke spolecnosti pro diagnostiku a lecbu chronickeho srdecniho selhani, 2011. Supplementum Cor et Vasa 2012;54:e113-34. Go to original source...
- Krivohlavy J. Psychologie nemoci. Praha: Grada;2001.
- Hrbackova M. Sebepece u nemocnych s chronickym srdecnim selhanim. Diplomova prace, Olomouc: Ustav teorie a praxe osetrovatelstvi, LF UP; 2008.
- Strzinkova, M., Uziti teorie deficitu sebepece u pacientu s ICHS. Diplomova prace, Olomouc: Ustav teorie a praxe osetrovatelstvi, LF UP; 2005.
- Kannel WB. Incidence and epidemiology of heart failure. Heart Fail Rev 2000;5(2):167-73. Go to pubmed...
- Jaarsma T, Halfens R, Senten M, Huijer H, Dracuo K. Developing a supportive-educative program for patients with advanced heart failure within Orem's general theory of nursing. Nurs Sci Q 1998;11(2):79-85. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...