Epub Ahead of Print
- 157 (2013) 1Vol 157-1 content 2Vol 157-2 content 3Vol 157-3 content 4Vol 157-4 content
- Suppl.1Vol 157-Suppl.1 content
- Suppl.2Vol 157-Suppl.2 content
- 156 (2012) 1Vol 156-1 content 2Vol 156-2 content 3Vol 156-3 content 4Vol 156-4 content
- Suppl.1Vol 156-Suppl.1 content
- Suppl.2Vol 156-Suppl.2 content
- Suppl.3Vol 156-Suppl.3 content
- 155 (2011) 1Vol 155-1 content 2Vol 155-2 content 3Vol 155-3 content 4Vol 155-4 content
- 154 (2010) 1Vol 154-1 content 2Vol 154-2 content 3Vol 154-3 content 4Vol 154-4 content
- 153 (2009) 1Vol 153-1 content 2Vol 153-2 content 3Vol 153-3 content 4Vol 153-4 content
- 152 (2008) 1Vol 152-1 content 2Vol 152-2 content
- 151 (2007) 1Vol 151-1 content 2Vol 151-2 content
- 150 (2006) 1Vol 150-1 content 2Vol 150-2 content
- 149 (2005) 1Vol 149-1 content 2Vol 149-2 content
- 148 (2004) 1Vol 148-1 content 2Vol 148-2 content
- 147 (2003) 1Vol 147-1 content 2Vol 147-2 content
- 146 (2002) 1Vol 146-1 content 2Vol 146-2 content
- 145 (2001) 1Vol 145-1 content 2Vol 145-2 content
- 144 (2000) 1Vol 144-1 content
- 143 (2000) 1Vol 143-1 content
- 142 (1999) 1Vol 142-1 content
- 141 (1998) 1Vol 141-1 content
|System entry (if you have password).|
|The registration of the new author.|
|Fulltext search in Biomedical Papers archive.|
Full Article PDF:
- Jantova S.Articles of Sona Jantova on pubmed
- Bakos D.Articles of Dusan Bakos on pubmed
- Birosova L.Articles of Lucia Birosova on pubmed
- Matejov P.Articles of Patrik Matejov on pubmed
NEW YEAR GREETINGS
Dear colleagues and friends,
The Editorial Office of Biomedical Papers would like to personally thank all our peer reviewers, authors andáreaders for their support during thisápast year. First, thanks to the peer reviewers who had the demanding andádifficult task of selecting fromáaálarge number of good manuscripts and second, theáauthors for the high quality of the articles andáreviews submitted and third, theámembers ofátheáEditorial Board foráwise decision-making and inviting three guest editors. Finally, thanks go to ouráreaders without whom ourájournal would not have attained theárespectability it has.
Wishing you all a joyous, abundant and successful 2014 in every way.
Jitka Ulrichova, Jana Novakova
and Vilim Simanek
FROM 1st MARCH 2013:
The Editorial Board would like to remind submitting authors that Biomedical Papers is a publication of Palackř University and is in no way funded by the pharmaceutical industry.
For this reason, from the 1st March, 2013, the fee of 5.000,- Czech crowns (or an equivalent sum in Euro) will apply to all manuscripts accepted for publication. Accepted manuscripts will not proceed further without receipt of payment. Thank you for your understanding.
Please note, however, reviews, minireviews, commentaries and Letters to the Editor will remain free of charge.
FOR BIOMEDICAL PAPERS.
January - December 2012
The editors and the authors
of the papers submitted
to the Journal are grateful
for the help of our reviewers.
Impact Factor is 0.990
* Czech Impact Journals
* All Journals - Categories: Medicine, Research, Experimental
Information For Authors
Manuscripts should be written in good and clear English. Please have your text proofread by a native English speaker before you submit it for consideration.
If you need assistance with translation/manuscript preparation in English, suitable for international journals before submission for review, please contact the proof reader
Dr. Alexander Oulton
Biomedical papers - Epub Ahead of Print
Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. X:X
Biological properties of a novel coladerm-beta glucan membrane.In vitro assessment using human fibroblasts
- Sona Jantovaa, Dusan Bakosb, Lucia Birosovaa, Patrik Matejova
- a Institute of Biochemistry, Nutrition and Health Protection, Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak University of Technology, Radlinskeho 9, 812 37 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
- b Institute of Polymer Materials, Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak University of Technology, Radlinskeho 9, 812 37 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Keywords: coladerm-beta glucan membrane, human fibroblasts, biocompatibility, cytotoxicity, genotoxicity, antimicrobial activity
Received: July 4, 2012; Accepted: December 19, 2012; Available online: February 14, 2013
Aim: The purpose of this study was to prepare a coladerm-beta glucan membrane (CBGM) and to evaluate its biocompatibility, cytotoxicity, antimicrobial activity, genotoxicity and mutagenicity.
Methods: The biocompatibility of the membrane was studied on the base of cell adhesion and colonization of human fibroblasts on the biomaterial surface by light microscopy. The MTT test and LDH level determination in the culture medium removed from the control and cells treated on the membrane, were used for viability and cytotoxic evaluations. Flow cytometry and gel electrophoresis were used for analysis of cell cycle and death. The antimicrobial activity of CBGM was tested using the qualitative dilution method. Ames bacteria gene mutation test and Comet assay were used for mutagenic and genotoxic studies.
Results: MTT and LDH tests confirmed that CBGM is a non-toxic biomaterial. Flow cytometry and gel electrophoresis demonstrated that the membrane did not affect the cell cycle and did not induce either necrotic or apoptotic cell death. CBGM exhibited antibacterial activity against G- bacteria E. sakazakii, S. marcescens, E. coli and agains G+ sporogenic bacteria B. cereus. No antifungal activity was detected. The membrane did not induce mutagenicity in the bacterial reverse mutation test in Salmonella Typhimurium strains. Similarly, the comet assay showed that the tested fibroblast cells growing with/without the membrane did not show any statistically significant DNA damage.
Conclusions: The CBGM has good biocompatibility, no cytotoxicity/genotoxicity/mutagenicity and it can be included as a potential scaffold for tissue engineering.
Open full article
- Mano JF, Silva GA, Azevedo HS, Malafaya PB, Sousa RA, Silva SS, Boesel LF, Oliveira JM, Santos TC, Marques AP, Neves NM, Reis RL. Natural origin biodegradable systems in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine: present status and some moving trends. J Roy Soc Int 2007;4:999-1030. doi:10.1098/rsif.2007.0220 Go to original source...
- Vojtassak J, Danisovic L, Kubes M, Bakos D, Jarabek L, Ulicna M, Blasko M. Autologous biograft and mesenchymal stem cells in treatment of the diabetic foot. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 2006;2,134-7.
- Chen J, Seviour R. Medicinal importance of fungal beta- (1→3),(1→6)-glucans. Mycol Res 2007;111:635-52. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Akramiene D, Kondrotas A, Didziapetriene J, Kevelaitis E. Effects of beta glucans on immune system.. Medicina (Kaunas) 2007:43(8):597-604.
- Akramiene D, Aleksandraviciene C, Grazeliene G, Zalinkevicius R, Suziedelis K, Didziapetriene J, Simonsen U, Stankevicius E, Kevelaitis E. Potentiating effect of beta glucans on photodynamic therapy of implanted cancer cells in mice. Tohoku J Exp Med 2010;220:299-306. doi:10.1620/tjem.220.299 Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Bergendiova K, Tibenska E, Majtan J. Pleuran (Beta glucan from Pleurotus ostreatus) supplementation, cellular immune response and respiratory tract infections in artletes. Eur J Appl Phys 2011;111:2033-40. Go to original source...
- Rahar S, Swami G, Nagpal N, Nagpal MA, Singh GS. Preparation, characterization and biological properties of beta glucans. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2(2):94-103. doi:10.4103/2231-4040.82953 Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Kaneko Y, Chihara G, Taguchi T. Activity of lentinan against cancer and AIDS. Int J Immunother 4:1989;203-13.
- Mantovani MS, Bellini MF, Angeli JPF, Oliveira RJ, Silva AF, Ribeiro LR. Beta glucans in promoting health: prevention against mutation and cancer. Mut Res 2008:658:154-61. doi:10.1016/j.mrrev.2007.07.002
- Wasser SP. Medicinal mushrooms as a source of antitumor and immunomodulating polysaccharides. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2002:60(3):258-74. doi:10.1007/s00253-002-1076-7
- Ren L, Perera C, Hemar Y. Antitumor activity of mushroom polysaccharides: a review. Food Funct 2012: in press
- Chen J, Raymond K. Beta-glucans in the treatment of diabetes and associated cardiovascular risks. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2007;4(6):1265-72.
- Nosalova V, Bobek P, Cerna S, Galbavy S, Stvrtina S. Effects of pleuran (beta-glucan isolated from Pleurotus ostreatus) on experimental colitis in rats. Phys Res 2001;50(6):575-81.
- Majtan J, Kumar P, Koller J, Dragunova J, Gabriz J. Induction of metalloproteinase 9 secretion from human keratinocytes by pleuran (beta-glucan from Pleurotus ostreatus). Zeit Natur C 2009;64(7-8):597-600.
- Rop O, Mlcek J, Jurikova T. Beta-glucans in higher fungi and their health effects. Nut Rev 2009;67(11):624-31. Go to original source...
- Rovensky J, Stancikova M, Svik K, Bauerova K, Jurkovicova J. The effects of sz-glucan isolated from Pleurotus ostreatus on methotrexate treatment in rats with adjuvant arthritis. Rheum Int 2011;31:507-11. Go to original source...
- Kurashige S, Akuzawa Y, Endo F. Effects of Lentinus edodes, Grifola frondosa and Pleurotus ostreatus administration on cancer outbreak, and activities of macrophages and lymphocytes in mice treated with a carcinogen, N-butyl-N-butanolnitrosoamine. Immun Immunotox 1997;19(2):175-83.
- Bobek P, Galbavy S. Effect of pleuran (beta-glucan isolated from Pleurotus ostreatus) on the antioxidant status of the organism and on dimethylhydrazine-induced precancerous lesions in rat colon. Br J Biomed Sci 2001;58(3):164-8. Go to pubmed...
- Vizarova K, Bakos D, Rehakova M, Petrikova M, Panakova E, Koller J. Modification of lavyered atelocollagen: enzymatic degradation and cytotoxicity evaluation. Biomaterials 1995;16:1217-21. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Vojtassak J, Bakos D, Danihel L, Kristin J, Bohmer D, Danisovic L, Blasko M. In vitro cytotoxicity testing of coladerm membrane. Cell Tiss Bank 2001:2:225-33.
- Vojtassak J, Poruban D, Bakos D, Danihel L, Bohmer D, Danisovic L, Danihelova A, Blasko M. Mouth cavity base defect treated with biosynthetic graft. Biologia 2006;61:713-8. Go to original source...
- Poruban D, Bakos D, Danisovic L, Bohmer D, Blasko M, Vojtassak J. In vitro prepared autologous graft from bucal mucosa - clinical application. Case Rep Clin Pr Review 2005;6:62-7.
- Harvanova D, Rosocha J, Bakos D, Svihla R, Vasko G, Hornak S, Ledecky V, Gromosova S, Cibur P, Rasi R. Collagen/hyaluronan membrane as a scaffold for chondrocytes cultivation. Biologia 2009;64(5):1032-8. Go to original source...
- Jantova S, Bakos D, Matejov P, Danisovic L, Melusova M. 2011: The study of biocompatibility and cytotoxicity of Coladerm-glucan membrane on human cells. Int Toxicol 2008;4(2):A36.
- Mossman T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Imm Meth 1983;65:55-62. Go to original source...
- Bergmeier HU. Methoden der enzymatischen Analyse. 1970: 2nd ed. Akademie Verlag, Berlin.
- Theiszova M, Jantova S, Letasiova S, Palou M, Cipak L. Cytotoxicity of hydroxyapatite, fluorapatite and fluor-hydroxyapatite: a comparative in vitro study. Neoplasma 2008;4:312-6.
- Singh NP, McCoy MT, Tice RR, Schneider EL. A simple technique for quantification of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells. Exp Cell Res 1988;175:184-91. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Slamenova D, Gabelova A, Ruppova K. Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity testing of sodium fluoride on Chinese hamster V79 cells and human EUE cells. Mut Res 1992;16:109-15.
- Gabelova A, Slamenova D, Ruzekova L, Farkasova T, Horvathova E. Measurement of DNA strand breakage and DNA repair induced with hydrogen peroxide using single cell gel electrophoresis, alkaline DNA unwinding and alkaline elution of DNA. Neoplasma 1997;44:380-8. Go to pubmed...
- Bodajla M, Stankovsky S, Spirkova K, Jantova S, Hudcova D. Azolylquinazolines, synthesis and biological activity. Chem Paper 1994;48(6):432-6.
- Maron DM, Ames BN. Revised methods for Salmonella mutagenicity test, Mut Res 1983;113(3-4):173-215.
- Esposito A, Mezzogiorno A, Sannino A, De Rosa A, Menditti D, Esposito V, Ambrosio L. Hyaluronic acid based materials for intestine tissue engineering: A morphological and biochemical study of cell-material interaction. J Mat Sci: Mat Med 2006;17:1365-72. Go to original source...
- Ruozi, B, Parma B, Croce M.A, Tosi G, Bondioli L, Vismara S, Forni F, Vandelli MA. Collagen-based modified membranes for tissue engineering: influence of type and molecular weight of GAGs on cell proliferation. Int J Pharm 2009;378(1-2):108-15. Go to original source...
- Yang Z, Mo L, Duan H, Li X. Effects of chitosan/collagen substrates on the behavior of rat neural stem cells. Sci China Life Sci 2010;53(2):215-22.
- Berahim Z, Moharamzadeh K, Rawlinson A, Jowett AK. Biologic interaction of three-dimensional peridontal fibroblast spheroids with collagen-based and synthetic membranes. J Periodont 2011;82(5):790-7. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Akturk O, Tezcaner A, Bilgili H, Deveci MS, Gecit MR, Keskin D. Evaluation of serin/collagen membranes as perspective wound dressing biomaterial. J Biosc Bioeng 2011;112(3):279-88. Go to original source...
- Behring J, Junker R, Walboomers XF, Chessnut B, Jansen JA. Toward quided tissue and bone regeneration: morphology, attachment, proliferation, and migration of cells cultured on collagen barrier membranes. A systematic review. Odontology 2008;96:1-11. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Ruszczak Z. Effect of collagen matrices on dermal wound healing. Adv Drug Dil Rev 2003;55:1595-611. Go to original source...
- Woo YI, Park BJ, Kim HL, Lee MH, Kim J, Yang YI, Kim JK, Tsubak, K. The biological activities of (1,3)-(1,6)-beta-d-glucan and porous electrospun PLGA membranes containing beta-glucan in human dermal fibroblasts and adipose tissue-derived stem cells. Biomed Mat 2010;5(4):044109. Go to original source...
- Ardizzoni A, Neglia RG, Baschier MC, Cermelli C, Caratozzolo M, Righi E, Palmieri B, Blasi E. Influence of hyaluronic acid on bacterial and fungal species, including clinically relevant opportunistic pathogens. J Mat Sci: Mat Med 2011; 22(10):2329-38. Go to original source...
- Muramatsu K, Nakajima M, Kikuchi M, Shimada S, Sasaki K, Masuda S, Yoshihara Y. In vitro cytocompatibility assessmant of beta-tricalciu phosphate/carboxymethyl-chitin composite. J Biomed Mat Res: Part A 2004;71(4):635-43. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Marone PA Lau FC, Gupta RC, Bagchi M, Baghi D. Safety and toxicological evaluation of undenatured type II collagen. Tox Mech Meth 2010;20(4):175-89.
- Lim CK, Yaacob NS, Ismail Z, Halim AS. In vitro biocompatibility of chitosan porous skin regenerating templates (PSRTs) using primary human skin keratinocytes. Tox In Vitro 2010;24(3):721-7. Go to original source...
- Lazova M, Labaj J, Kovacikova Z, Slamenova D. Diet containing fungal (1-3)-beta-D-glukan derivative exhibits protective effects against DNA lesions induced in freshly isolated rat cells. Neoplasma 2004;51(6):431-5.
- Lazarova M, Labaj J, Eckl P, Kogan G, Slamenova D. Effects of dietary intake of a fungal beta-D-glucan derivative on the level of DNA damage induced in primary rat hepatocytes by various carcinogens. Nut Cancer 2006;56(1):113-22. Go to original source...
- Miadokova E, Svidova S, Vlckova V, Duhova V, Prazmariova E, Tothova K, Nadova S, Koganm G, Rauko P. The role of natural biopolymers in genotoxicity of mutagens/carcinogens elimination. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2005;149(2):493-6. Go to original source... Go to pubmed...
- Yoon HJ, Park HS, Bom HS, Roh YB, Kim JS, Kim YH. Chitosan oligosaccharide inhibits 203HgCl2-induced genotoxicity in mice: micronuclei occurrence and chromosomal aberration. Arch Pharm Res 2005;28(9):1079-85. Go to original source...
- Slamenova D, Labaj J, Krizkova L, Kogan G, Sandula J, Bresgen N, Eck, P. Protective effects of fungal (1-3)-beta-D-glucan derivatives against oxidative DNA lesions in V79 hamster lung cells. Can Lett 2003;198(2):153-60.
- Horvathova E, Eckl PM, Bresgen N, Slamenova D. Evaluation of genotoxic and cytotoxic effects of H2O2 on freshly isolated rat hepatocytes; protective effects of carboxymethyl chitin-glucan. Neuro-End Lett 2008;29(5):644-8. Go to pubmed...
- Magnani M, Astro-Gomez RJH, Mori MP, Kuasne H, Gregorio EP, Libos F (Jr.), Colus IMS. Protective effect of carboxymethyl-glucan (CM-G) against DNA damage in patiens with advanced prostate cancer. Gen Mol Biol 2011;34(1):131-5. Go to original source...